Galaxy

Galaxy

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Final Reflection

This year in ELA I learned three things. Firstly, I learned that if you don't put your heart into the project that you are doing, it will make it boring to do. Most of the projects that we did this year we had the opportunity to pick what we wanted to do based on the project. The project that we were given the opportunity to do what we wanted to were the ones that I think were really fun to do. It gave us a time to show what we can do to the entire class. The second thing I learned was that, reading books that we should take the time to read books that we might not usually read. In our class we read the book The Giver this book wasn't really something that I would read but, as we kept on reading it really made me see how the book might not actually be as bad as I thought it would be. The last important thing that I learned was that, everything we were taught was to help us through high school. We learned how to annotate so when we have to write about it it will be easier to write, we learned about the TIQA format which helps us know the layout on what to include in the paragraph that will include text evidence. We learned that we need to manage our time wisely to get the important things done first than the others. There were so many things we learned that I know we will  use in high school.

Throughout the year we did a lot of projects, those projects personally taught me things. The project that really hit was the Butterfly Project. This project made us read a poem about a child that was in the Terzin concentration camp. The poems taught us that we should appreciate the life we have. The kids unfortunately had to live through some things that won't be eraseable. The Butterfly Project personally taught me that we should take advantage of the life we have and live life to the fullest.

The nicest thing someone in the ELA class has done for me is show me not to follow what everyone says disputes whta everyone says about that person. In the beginning of the year I didn't talk to person but when I saw that we had some classes together I started to realize that the person isn't what everyone says. To everyone the person might be a person that does bad things but that person taught me a lesson that I will not forget to carry with me in the future.

Everyone has different morals and beliefs. When people are different they all bring a variety of things which we can all learn from. We were all able to teach each other with our I Believe essay/speeches when we talked about the event that made us believe what we do. In my I Believe essay I talked about something that my friends didn't even know had happened to my family. When we first learned that we would be writing about an event in our lif that changed our belief I immediately thought about what had happened. At first I was nervous to what everyone's reaction would be but, I knew that I had to do this. I felt as if it was my responsibility to try to prevent this from happening to them because I don't want them to go through something like that.

I think that I made the biggest improvement in how to write a paper. When I was in first grade we learned about the hamburger method on how to write a papers when asked to answer a question with text evidence. I was never really good at remembering what goes when but, now this year we learned about the TIQA format it made more sense to me. The TIQA format is something that I will remember to use when in the future, specifically high school. Something that I accomplished this year is

There were many challenges throughout the years, well I think this one was for most of class. Trying to remember the vocabulary words and root words we had was a big challenge to everyone since we were all new to it. I think that the vocabulary tests kind of  reflected on how much time we actually studied for the test, well that was if we actually did study. Even though it was a challenge at first, I started to realize that the more time I spent studying the words the more it started to become easier. Yeah, at times I would get 2 or 3 wrong but at least I know that I tried my best.

The best piece of writing I think I did this year was my I Believe essay. I think that it was my best because it really showed everyone who I am since I never really talk in class. The event that I talked about in the essay was something that had just recently had happened to my family which taught all of us a lesson. It was something that I had never really done, but I knew I had to this because I don't want other families having to go through something like this when I myself know the emotional roller coaster we all went through in my family.

My favorite book that I read this year was Counting By 7s. This book was really relatable to me since Willow (the main character) and I both are really good in math and science. It was my first time reading the same book with a small group instead of it being the whole class. When it was Willow's first day in middle school it reminded me of when it my first day of elementary school. When it was my first day of elementary school I was dressed differently and I didn't know what to say since the only words I knew in English was "Hello" and "Bye". Willow in the book got mistaken to a custodian  and she didn't really know what to say since she was new. I found the book really relatable which is why Counting by 7s  is my favorite book.

For the students who will be in this class next year, I want to tell them to never give up. Yes, there are times were you just question what is the whole point of the project but, everything we do might connect to us in our personal life. As weird as it sounds many of the project were always aligned to what was happening in my "outside of school life".

No comments:

Post a Comment