Galaxy

Galaxy

Monday, March 13, 2017

Night

          When reading Night by Elie Wiesel, I was able to see how the experiences Wiesel went through changed his personality, morality, beliefs and values. His actions towards his father changed throughout the book as well as his faith with God.
          Throughout the book, we can see how Wiesel’s faith with God changes when he is in the concentration camp. In the book it says, “Why do you weep when you pray?....“I don’t know why,” I answered, greatly disturbed. The question had never entered my head. I wept because-because of something inside me that felt the need for tears”(Wiesel 2). This quote shows how Wiesel is very passionate when he prays. He expresses how he feels the need to cry when he prays without really knowing the reason why he cries. It also say in the book, “Blessed be the Name of the Eternal!” Why, but why should I bless Him...How could I say to Him: “Blessed art Thou, Eternal,  Master of the Universe, Who chose us from among the races to be tortured day and night, to see our fathers, our mothers, our brothers, end in the crematory?”(Wiesel 64). This quotes shows how Wiesel sees that he feels like God isn’t with them anymore. He blames everything on God because Wiesel feels like God chose them out of all of the other races to be tortured and see family end up in the crematory. Later on in the book it says, “And, in spite of myself, a prayer rose in my heart, to that God in whom I no longer believed”(Wiesel 87). This quote shows how Wiesel still is pray although he doesn’t really know why since he doesn’t really believe in God as he use to believe in. This is completely different to the person that he was before since in the beginning 
          When reading the book, we can see how Wiesel’s bond with his father also changes throughout the book. In the book it says, “My father was a cultured, rather unsentimental man. There was never any display of emotion, even at home. He was more concerned with others than his own family.”(Wiesel 2) This quote shows how his father is never really there to look out for his family. Wiesel and his father don’t have a strong father-to-son bond which is something that is completely different as the book goes on. Also in the book it says, “I did not move. What had happened to me?My father had just been struck, before my very eyes, and I had not flickered an eyelid. I looked on and said nothing. Yesterday, I should have sunk my nails into the criminal’s flesh”(Wiesel 37). This quote shows how when his father was being beaten, that he didn't move at all to protect his father. This quote shows how he was surprised since he did jump in to save his father. Wiesel says that “ Yesterday, I should have sunk my nails into the criminals flesh” which shows how he is somewhat changed since he didn’t do this, instead he just watched as the others do. Later on in the book it says, “My father’s presence was the only thing that stopped me….He was running at my side, out of breath, at the end of his strength, at his wit’s end. I had no right to let myself die. What would he do without me? I was his only support”(Wiesel 82). This quote shows how Wiesel tells himself that his father is stopping him from giving up since he was running with his foot that he just had a surgery on. He is telling himself that he is the only thing that his father has, since Wiesel is always looking out for his father and he is always making sure he has something to eat, he knows that if he gives up his father will not have the same support that Wiesel always gives his father. In the first quote it showed how the father was never really that close to Wiesel, now that is completely different because now in the concentration camps they have gone to, they only have each other.
Wiesel, Elie. Night. N.p.: Bantam , 1982. Print.


No comments:

Post a Comment